Declare or Withdraw

How to Declare

Students interested in the Environmental Studies major are strongly encouraged to attend a scheduled group advising session. These sessions will cover details about the major, curriculum requirements, the Nelson Institute, and an introduction to our community. Students may also declare the major at these sessions, or prepare their materials to submit the declaration with their home school/college (students not in L&S). Contact to learn about upcoming sessions.

Students unable to attend a scheduled group session should email to set up an alternative appointment.

Students interested in the Environmental Studies certificate do not need to attend a group session. To inquire about the certificate and/or to declare, students should email with the subject line CERTIFICATE and make sure to include your full name, student ID number and anticipated graduation date. An advisor will review your record and follow up.

How to Withdraw

If you find that it is not possible to complete your environmental studies major or certificate program, please contact with your full name and student ID to review your record and complete the cancellation process.

There are several options to consider:

  1. If you are currently in the environmental studies major, you may switch to the certificate program.
  2. Request permission to continue the curriculum as a special student.
  3. Withdraw from the environmental studies program.