Students have been, and continue to be, at the forefront of movements to build a better future for our country. But students only make real progress when they’re organized, have the skills to be effective, and have a strategic plan to get things done. That’s where we come in: For almost 50 years, the Student PIRGs have been working to amplify the power of student activism. We help students make real change, right now.
By recruiting, training and working alongside student activists on campaigns that get results, our organizers are helping to ensure all Americans can live meaningful lives and have a greener and healthier future. Our chapters on campuses across the country provide the training, professional support and resources students need to tackle climate change, protect public health, revitalize our democracy, feed the hungry and more.
What you’ll do
Our organizers provide students with the training and resources they need to become movement leaders by recruiting volunteers, training potential leaders to take on more responsibility, and doing campaign work themselves.
- Inspiring and recruiting hundreds of students to take action on important issues.
- Helping students run strategic campaigns. Campus organizers will recruit and train students virtually to run campaigns such as committing the campus to 100 percent renewable energy, eliminating single-use plastics, making college more affordable, and more
- Building a coalition. Campus organizers work with student volunteers and interns to build a diverse, invested coalition of organizations.
- Training students to be effective social change leaders, using skills such as generating grassroots support and coordinating lobby days and news conferences.
- Building a strong, sustainable, student-funded and student-run organization on campus by fundraising, building relationships with key players on campus, and building our brand.
- Working alongside students to win real reforms for the public.
- Using a variety of digital tools to conduct this work virtually while in-person gathering is restricted by COVID-19.
- Running a citizen outreach office during the summer, where you’ll recruit and lead a team of canvassers to fundraise for important issues.
Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to environmental, public interest and/or student issues, as well as a track record of leadership. We’re looking for goal-driven and results-oriented individuals who have excellent communication skills and enthusiasm for the work.
Pay & Benefits
The target annual compensation for this position is $28,500-$35,000 in the first year. Each of the groups that partner with the Student PIRGs offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
We’re hiring organizers to work on college campuses in California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, North Carolina, Connecticut, Florida, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Maryland, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan, Georgia, Texas, DC, and Washington state.
We are hiring for positions starting in August 2022. Immediate positions are also available. View here.
Things to Know
The Student PIRGs work closely with The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change.
Each of the groups that partner with the Student PIRGs is an equal opportunity employer.
For Los Angeles-based positions: The Student PIRGs will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.studentpirgs.org.