Pollinator Partnership (P2) seeks to hire a motivated and detail-oriented Project Wingspan Plant Technician Assistant. Project Wingspan (PW) is a collaborative pollinator habitat initiative with numerous partners across a 7 state region. PW is a multi-component project that is addressing the alarming decline in pollinators and the fragmentation of habitat through seed collection, technical training, and enhancing and securing long-term habitat. This project is part of Pollinator Partnership’s wider Monarch Wings Across America program (https://www.pollinator.org/monarch/mwaa). The Plant Technician Assistant will provide assistance to the Native Plant Horticulturist, participate in nursery practices related to cleaning seed collections and propagating native plant plugs, maintain records, and participate in the preparation of reports as requested.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Reports to and works under the direction of the Native Plant Horticulturist.
- Provides assistance and actively participates in various phases of plant materials processing and grow out production. This may include seed cleaning, seed storage, seeding, weed & insect control, soil management, irrigation, greenhouse and prairie forb production area, inventory, lifting, sorting, packaging, and shipping plants and plant materials.
- Collects and compiles data related to plant material processing and grow-out.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above.
- Works efficiently and able to work independently.
- Personal and Professional Qualifications
- Some experience in nursery operation activities, plant production, or natural resource related activities or relevant coursework.
- Working knowledge of methods and techniques used in native plant propagation, soil management, or greenhouse operations is a plus.
- Highly dependable and well-organized.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Knowledge, skill, and mental development equivalent to completion of high school.
- Ability to work in greenhouse and field conditions, sit in chairs for extended hours, and lift/move materials up to 40lbs.
This position is part-time (~16 hours/week, with approximately 3 months of up to 30hours/week) and will begin October 2021 and conclude May 2022. There may be an opportunity for an extension.
This is an hourly position paid at $12/hour for the 8-month period. Individuals will be paid on a monthly basis and are not eligible for health benefits.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email the following information to Lora LM@pollinator.org:
- Cover letter describing why you are a good fit for the position
- Attach the resume and cover letter as 1 PDF
- Please name the email subject and attached PDF “Project Wingspan Plant Technician Assistant_Last Name”.
- An inability to follow the instructions above will result in the application being automatically rejected.
- No phone calls please.
To apply for this job please visit www.pollinator.org.