Montana Conservation Corps
The Montana Conservation Corps (MCC) is currently accepting applications for AmeriCorps leader positions! Here at MCC, we focus on the growth of our participants, positively impacting our climate and environment, and transferable job skills. Leaders and their crews will camp while working on physically demanding and essential natural resource and conservation projects on some of the most breathtaking landscapes in the Northern Rockies and Plains. Our crew leaders go through a leadership development program crafted over two decades to enhance their confidence, resilience, and technical capabilities. If you are looking for something unique, want to address urgent climate change issues, and want to make a positive impact on the environment, then this is the perfect opportunity for you!
The Crew Leader (CL) will assist in the successful completion of MCC natural resource and community service projects, on-site management of 4-6 participants, monitoring of crew dynamics to ensure a high level of crew motivation and functioning, as well as the delivery of the full range of MCC program components. This is not a 9-5 job, rather a commitment to service and an experience where long hours and extended time away from your home base are to be expected. Serving as a CL at MCC means having passion for service to others, for wild lands and wild places, for personal growth, or for any number of MCC’s values. Leaders and their crews will camp for most of their term, often times in remote locations in varied terrain and in all weather conditions. Work may include building or maintaining trails, treating or removing invasive species, building fences, operating chainsaws to reduce wildfire risks by thinning trees, among many other types of projects. Not all CLs will work on all types of projects. Crews may be deployed for natural disaster relief. The CL is the primary in-field liaison between regional staff and the on-site project partner or technical advisor, generally an employee of the land management agency or group working with the crew. The CL will also establish and maintain a good working relationship with other partner personnel, Crew Members, MCC staff and volunteers who come into contact with the crew. The CL prioritizes Crew Member development through program delivery, project work, and adherence to MCC policies and procedures. The CL is entitled to the benefit package offered all AmeriCorps participants.
Crew Leaders understand that commitment, flexibility and self-motivation are integral to maintaining the high expectations placed upon them. They use their training, experience and commitment to facilitate their crew’s development. They are creative in their approach to problem solving and motivating others, and are invested in the idea that their personal development and growth as a leader are most fully realized when used in service to their crews, their communities and the environment.
- High school degree, GED, or willingness to work towards obtaining a GED
- US Citizen, National or lawful permanent resident
- Ability to pass a National Service Criminal History Check
- Ability to eventually hike 3-20 miles per day in terrain that can be steep, rocky or uneven, often wearing a 45lb backpack while carrying tools and sometimes backpacking with full packs of 60 – 70lbs
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds repeatedly and use hand and power tools
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Ability to obtain Wilderness Advanced First Aid/CPR training. (Training is reimbursable to allotted amount/ MCC provides training)
- Demonstrates desire to serve the community and the environment
- Embraces willingness to work long, hard hours in all weather conditions; ability to be away on overnight trips for up to 10 days at a time
- Commitment to completing term; available for duration of entire term of service
Desired Additional Qualifications
- Valid driver’s license, ability to pass a Motor Vehicle Records check
- 21 years old on the start date of the program
To apply for this job please visit www.mtcorps.org.