Travel Grants for Nelson Institute Graduate Students
Limited funding (Nelson Institute awards an average of $200) is available to support graduate student travel related to conferences and research. Preference will be given to students traveling to present a paper/poster and to students who have not received prior awards from this fund. One review cycle will be held this year with applications due March 15. All funds must be expended before June 30 of the award year (although this can be waived due to the need for summer travel).
To request travel funds, please submit the following application materials to:Nelson Institute Graduate Student Travel Grant
c/o Jim Miller
Nelson Institute Academic Programs Office
Room 70 Science Hall
550 North Park Street
Madison, WI 53706
- A cover letter describing your need for travel. Include a short discussion of your research or a description of your conference paper. Your letter should clearly state the amount of your request.
- Your campus mailing address, phone number(s), and e-mail address;
- A letter of support from your faculty advisor;
- An itemized budget that shows the full cost of your planned travel and includes an indication of how expenses beyond the amount of your request will be met.
- If your travel request is based on the presentation of a paper (travel funding for conferences is generally available only for students who will be presenting papers), please attach an abstract of your paper as well as some type of documentation that confirms the acceptance of your abstract by the conference sponsors. (If this information will not be available until spring, your request may have to wait until the spring competition.)