The Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest is located in Wisconsin’s “Northwoods,” covering over a million and a half acres of forested lands in the north central section of the “Badger” state. The Forest stretches across northern Wisconsin and provides the scenic and economic foundation for the Northwoods communities. Glacier-carved hills and lowlands, extensive hardwood forests, and diverse wetlands create topographic and vegetative diversity across the Forest. With more than 2,000 lakes and 2,000 miles of rivers and streams, the Forest is a destination for water-based recreation. Wildlife is abundant on the Forest and visitors are able to hunt large and small game in an unconfined setting.
Chequamegon-Nicolet’s West Zone Recreation Assistant will perform a variety of work in support of the recreation program based in Hayward, WI. The Recreation Assistant will assist recreation staff with maintenance and upkeep of multiple campgrounds, trailheads/trails, day use areas, and dispersed campsites throughout the CNNF’s West Zone Rec program which includes the Great Divide Ranger District, Washburn Ranger District, and Medford-Park Falls Ranger Districts.
The Recreation Assistant will be trained/certified in
- Chainsaw certification (S-212)
- First Aid and CPR
- ATV/UTV certification
- Defensive Driving
- Trailer Towing
- Radio/SPOT device
- Monitor condition and use of trails, perform maintenance to standards, and report issues.
- Monitor West Zone Campgrounds, Day Use Areas, and other recreation use areas and report and correct safety issues.
- Assist visitors by providing with information about specific recreation opportunities and activities, such as those at specific sites.
- Inform visitors of rules and/or regulations.
- Monitor wilderness area for use, maintenance needs and report issues.
- Conduct site monitoring visits for compliance with recreation area rules and regulations of parking, campfires, sanitation, use of camping sites. Reports violations to mentor.
- Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments independently. Detailed instructions are provided for new assignments. Unfamiliar situations or technical deviations from established practices are referred to mentor for guidance or resolution.
- Perform and monitor day-to-day recreation maintenance, clean-up, and simple construction projects for sites, reporting issues. Day to day maintenance includes:
- Mowing, trimming, and debris pick-up
- Cleaning and maintaining fire rings, campsites, bathrooms, beaches, and other facilities.
- Assisting with posting camping reservations and assisting public with questions related to camping and recreation opportunities on the district.
- Hayward River House: Shared Forest Service housing located in Hayward, rent is $9.51 per day
- Housing prices are variable depending on location. Rentals are available. For further information about the area, please visit Hayward’s homepage at: http://www.haywardareachamber.com.
- Minimum age requirement is 18 years old
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent communication skills
- Understanding of or willingness to learn various conservation practices
- Passionate about outdoor recreation
To apply for this job please visit wiscorps.wufoo.com.