WI DNR MacKenzie Center
The MacKenzie Center, just 25 miles north of Madison, is a diverse environmental education and outdoor skills center with a remarkable conservation history. With interpretive trails, exhibits, museums and programming available for school and youth groups, MacKenzie is a wonderful place to visit and learn about the natural world.
The MacKenzie Center is looking for a hardworking, energetic, and flexible intern to work directly with wildlife technicians, to care for many different species of non-releasable native Wisconsin wild animals housed at the Center. The wildlife exhibit is a teaching tool for our visiting schools, groups, and individuals. Caring for animals directly influences the quality and quantity of education programs offered at MacKenzie. Training will be provided for all areas of responsibility. This position works under the immediate direction of the Wildlife Team and is supervised by the MacKenzie Center Property Manager.
This position represents and supports the rules, policies, missions, and practices of the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
Hours & Duration
Average 24 hours per week for 12 weeks; with potential to extend. Flexible scheduling between the hours of 8:00am-4:30pm, Sunday-Saturday.
- Unpaid internship and housing is not provided
- Learn from wildlife technicians and gain animal caretaking experience
- Prepare and deliver natural diets and enrichment
- Monitor health and well-being of all animals
- Clean habitats, bird perches, and other housing materials
- Perform routine maintenance and grounds keeping of wildlife area
- Assist with special projects and complete an individual project
- Interest in wildlife management or animal caretaking
- Coursework in applicable field is preferred
- Able to work independently, follow directions, and complete tasks in an efficient manner
- Keen observation and attention skills
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Must be capable of lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Flexible and adaptable to meet the needs of an evolving work environment
How to apply
Submit a resume, cover letter and references to the address or email below.
To apply for this job please visit dnr.wisconsin.gov.