UW-Madison Division of Extension
The Wisconsin Natural Resources Assistant (Fisheries) will support staff at the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest (Medford-Park Falls District) with the fisheries management program. This position is based on-site, in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. The hired student will be responsible for finding housing in the Park Falls area.
The Student Assistant will:
- Trap and count fish using a variety of sampling techniques.
- Identity and measures species, recording numbers, lengths, and weights.
- Collect field data by measuring and recording pertinent biological information.
- Observe and take notes to describe fish habitat such as log jams and silting.
- Assist USFS staff with the operation of more sophisticated equipment or systems.
- Assist in the collection, handling, and preservation of specimens.
- Use global positioning systems, aerial photographs, topographic maps, GIS and/or compass in navigation.
- Perform highly physical labor and daily hiking, sometimes to remote locations in rugged terrain under possible adverse weather conditions.
- A portion of time may be dedicated to data entry and other duties in a laboratory/office setting.
- Contribute to fisheries research and management programs.
- Participate in professional development workshops to gain leadership skills.
- Learn about diverse career paths for natural resource professionals.
To apply for this job please visit studentjobs.hr.wisc.edu.