UW-Madison Division of Extension
The Wisconsin Natural Resources Assistant (Generalist) will support staff at the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest (Great Divide District) with invasive species management, wildlife, silviculture, and recreation programs. This position is based on-site, in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest and local housing in the Hayward, WI area will be provided by the US Forest Service.
The Student Assistant will:
- Conduct native and non-native plant species surveys by assisting in identifying invasive non-native plants using various field guides and plant identification keys.
- Treat and manage invasive plant species primarily using herbicides, but may also be accomplished by hand-pulling, and/or using hand tools, power tools, mowers, and other standardized control methods.
- Perform and monitor day-to-day recreation maintenance including: mowing, trimming, and debris pick-up and cleaning and maintaining fire rings, campsites, bathrooms, beaches, and other facilities.
- Assist public with questions related to camping and recreation opportunities and provide visitors with information about specific recreation opportunities and activities and rules and/or regulations.
- Additional recreational use-related duties may include: monitoring trail condition and use, trail maintenance, and monitoring campgrounds, day use area, and other recreation sites to report and correct safety issues.
- Uses global positioning systems, aerial photographs, topographic maps, GIS and/or compass in navigation.
- Perform highly physical labor and daily hiking, sometimes to remote locations in rugged terrain under possible adverse weather conditions.
- A portion of time may be dedicated to data entry and other duties in a laboratory/office setting.
- Contribute to wildlife ecology, research, and management programs.
- Participate in professional development workshops to gain leadership skills.
- Learn about diverse career paths for natural resource professionals.
To apply for this job please visit studentjobs.hr.wisc.edu.