Upham Woods Outdoor Learning Center
The Upham Woods summer naturalists are the primary programmatic personnel for Upham Woods in the summer season. In that regard this position is responsible for teaching the summer camp and recreational activities for user groups, interacting with 4-H Youth educators and adult volunteers, and care for programmatic, outpost and recreational, equipment which includes the science center animals. Additionally the summer counselor naturalists may sometimes be called upon to lead off and onsite adventure-type programs. All of the above is to be done with a focus on customer service and effective educational methods in a safe environment.
Primary Duties/Essential Job Functions:
- Prepare for and teach the Upham Woods summer activities using center class guidelines and overall format. Adjust activity content, length, focus, etc. as needed based upon audience, clientele needs, environmental concerns, etc.
- Facilitate an overall positive clientele experience. This includes providing program support for summer camp programming created by county groups. Lead programming and provide logistical support for statewide open enrollment summer camps
- Lifeguard water activities in the Wisconsin River offered only during summer camp programming including swimming in the designated swimming beach, water Olympics, and beach activities on Blackhawk Island.
- Lifeguard canoeing and kayaking programs on the Wisconsin River
- Provide leadership and instruction to summer youth counselors attending camp
- Provide leadership and instruction of off and onsite outpost adventure-type activities offered only in the summer. This includes but is not limited to: swimming, paddling, hiking, archery, teambuilding programs, outpost adventure camping, field games.
- Provide care and food for the science center animals
- Maintain programmatic equipment and projects associated with digital technologies.
- Organize and report observations of summer camp group activities such as all camp games, field games, arts and crafts, outpost programs
- Provide assistance to the other departments for the safe and effective operation of the center
- Provide emergency support to groups while onsite, as needed
- Communicate UW Madison Division of Extension COVID-19 safety protocol and policy to clients
Please send resume, cover letter, and 3 references to Isabelle Herde, Program Director at email@example.com
To apply for this job please visit fyi.extension.wisc.edu.