The Prairie Enthusiasts
This is a full-time field position (40 hours/week) leading, supervising, and educating four college level student interns in hands-on ecological management and restoration of native prairie, wet meadow, streams, and oak savanna. This position is with The Prairie Enthusiasts, a non-profit conservation group focused on the protection and recovery of fire dependant ecosystems of the upper Midwest.
- B.S. degree, or equivalent experience, in biological or natural history sciences related to native fire-dependant ecosystems of the upper Midwest.
- Experience in hands on land management and restoration techniques, with power equipment (chainsaws, brush cutters, etc.), and in supervising and directing people is required. Knowledge of the species and ecology of upper Midwest prairies, sedge meadows, and oak savanna is required.
- Must be self-motivated, have ability to motivate others, have a positive attitude, have a commitment to conservation of endangered ecosystems, and have a valid driver’s license.
- Experience with tractors is desirable, but not required.
- Direct and lead interns in the field
- Lead by example
- Foster a safe, productive, and educational work environment. Assess the abilities of the interns in meeting the goals and tasks of the internships
- Provide on the job training to interns in the use of equipment and restoration and biological survey methods
- Provide education about the natural history of the preserves, the need for restoration/management, and the methods used.
- Be responsible for equipment care and maintenance
- At the direction of preserve site stewards, develop weekly work plans
TPE owned or eased preserves in southeast Iowa County and western Dane County, WI. The work will be headquartered out of the field facility at 8624 Reilly Rd, Barneveld, WI.
Send cover letter and resume to Rich Henderson (by May 13, 2022)
To apply for this job please visit assets.nationbuilder.com.