Superior Rivers Watershed Association
The Superior Rivers Watershed Association (based in Ashland, WI) and Lake Superior Reserve (based in Superior, WI) seek a person to provide and support experiential, inclusive learning opportunities about freshwater estuaries and the Lake Superior watershed. The Rivers2Lake Mentor will work with teachers in the South Shore area of Wisconsin who are alumni of the Rivers2Lake program to provide interdisciplinary, inquiry-based, and outdoor experiences for students through mentoring and professional development for teachers. The Mentor will also support watershed learning in the region through the Superior Rivers Watershed Association and for visiting groups at the Northern Great Lakes Visitors Center.
Based with the Superior Rivers Watershed Association, this position works in close collaboration with staff at the Lake Superior National Estuarine Research Reserve who lead the Rivers2Lake education program, as well as the National Park Service, teachers, school administration, and other partner organizations. This position is based in Ashland, Wisconsin with some telecommuting required and occasionally in schools or outdoor locations.
The Rivers2Lake Education Mentor position is offered cooperatively by a partnership between the Superior Rivers Watershed Association and the Lake Superior National Estuarine Research Reserve. This position is funded through a grant from Wisconsin Sea Grant.
Duties and Responsibilities
Lake Superior Rivers2Lake Teacher Professional Development (50%)
- Reconnect with alumni teachers of the Rivers2Lake program on the South Shore, supporting their continued incorporation of the outdoors, Lake Superior watershed, and local examples in their teaching practice.
- Arrange and conduct in‐school and virtual meetings with teachers to assist them in planning, integrating, teaching, and evaluating outdoor and inquiry based learning in their classrooms.
- Teach students through cross‐curricular outdoor and inquiry‐based learning experiences that incorporate Lake Superior watershed related topics.
- Collaborate with Rivers2Lake partners (including the National Park Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center, Great Lakes Aquarium, UW‐ Superior, and others) in program planning.
- Create and maintain positive collaborative relationships with teachers, school administrators, students and community members from diverse backgrounds (throughout all duties).
- Educational Support for Superior Rivers Watershed Association (40%)
- Build on education and outreach efforts at Superior Rivers Watershed Association, including educational programs, volunteer support, and communications.
- Contribute to writing and communications, including website text and pages, newsletter content, and/or social media outreach.
- Develop and offer educational programs based on water quality monitoring and other work of Superior Rivers or partner organizations.
- Represent the Rivers2Lake Education Program and Superior Rivers Watershed Association at various venues and public events.
Assist with Regional Education Efforts (10%)
- Help offer educational programming for school or visiting groups with regional partners.
- Teach groups of all ages, primarily school groups, when in person programming is permitted.
- This position may support educational programming efforts with the Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center in Ashland, Wisconsin.
- Degree, coursework in progress, or considerable experience in education, environmental or outdoor education, or related discipline.
- Experience as an educator in or with public schools (formal or non‐formal education).
- Demonstrated ability to work and problem-solve independently.
- Strong environmental, outdoor, and inquiry‐based pedagogy.
- Ability to work with students (minors) in a school setting.
- Demonstrated ability to collaboratively plan and manage program logistics and risk management, especially regarding outdoor learning experiences.
- Ability to effectively work with people from different cultural backgrounds, including those associated with race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, and other aspects of human diversity.
- Valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.
- Teaching licensure and/or Master’s Degree in Education or related field.
- Experience in planning and conducting professional development for educators.
- Knowledge of cultural and natural history in Western Lake Superior and its watersheds.
- Knowledge of scientific and ecological processes, especially related to watersheds, water quality and Lake Superior
- Ability to collaborate with researchers and integrate applied scientific research into curriculum.
- Understanding of state and federal educational standards and the application of standards in the classroom.
- This preferred timeline for this position is a late September 2021 start date, running through early June of 2022. This is a limited term position (LTE).
- Superior Rivers Watershed Association (SRWA) Executive Director is the on‐site manager for this position. The program manager is the Lake Superior National Estuarine Research Reserve Education Coordinator.
- Movement outdoors over uneven ground is part of this position. Must be able to move or work with others to move educational equipment, up to 50 pounds in weight, and navigate over uneven terrain outdoors or on boats, occasionally in cold, hot, or wet conditions.
- This position involves travel to schools within the geographic area served. Mileage is reimbursable from office to participating schools.
The Rivers2Lake Education Mentor position is 18 hours per week on average with an hourly wage of $20/hour.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references in PDF format to Alex Faber, Superior Rivers Watershed Association Executive Director at alex [@] superiorrivers.org by 11:59pm on August 23, 2021. Emailed applications are strongly preferred. If you are not able to email your application, please mail application materials to Alex Faber, Superior Rivers Watershed Association, PO Box 875, Ashland, WI 54806.
To apply for this job please visit www.superiorrivers.org.