At Milwaukee Riverkeeper® we’re looking for more than just a person to fill a desk. We’re seeking people that share our passion for healthy rivers and communities. If you want to become a part of Milwaukee Riverkeeper, you will be empowered to work the way you work best. Your voice is important, you’ll help shape the role you’re in and the future of our organization. From top down and bottom up, we’re more than just a workplace, we sweat together, and play to win!
Milwaukee Riverkeeper is a multifaceted organization connecting and engaging people from all walks of life in our work to protect and restore our waterways. To build a lifelong relationship with our waterways, it’s critical we help communities understand their role in this symbiotic relationship. The key role of this position is to create opportunities for connection, education and engagement around the Milwaukee River Basin. This position will work with local schools to bring our rivers into classrooms, strengthen Milwaukee Riverkeeper’s public outreach efforts, and identify new engagement strategies.
- Facilitate educational programming and develop educational content on Milwaukee Riverkeeper’s mission and programs: water quality, stream ecology, and special projects (plastics campaign, road salt education).
- Recruit, train, and manage volunteers for MRK’s “Event Ambassador” program.
- Organize and develop interactive activities and promotional materials that MRK staff and volunteers can use at community events.
- Research and solicit funding for supplies and resources to support community engagement.
- Organize community engagement and tabling events.
- Represent Milwaukee Riverkeeper at events and programs.
- Milwaukee Riverkeeper employees need to be flexible and may be asked to take on additional duties based on the organization’s needs and the staff member’s skills and abilities.
- The successful candidate may have the following qualifications:
Associates degree or higher preferred, or equivalent experience
- Strong attention to detail and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Interest or previous experience in designing outreach and educational materials
- Knowledge of subject area, or willingness to learn about environmental and technical issue areas
- Experience working with volunteers is a plus
- Knowledge of basic software including Microsoft products
- Ability to resolve routine problems independently
- Ability to prioritize work according to the organization’s needs
- Willingness to work occasional weekends and evenings
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be able to attend mandatory AmeriCorps orientation on September 13-17 and midterm training on January 12-14 in the Wisconsin Dells
- This is a full-time AmeriCorps position. Members must commit to a year of service. Members must complete 1700 hours of service, averaging 35-40 hours per week from September 13, 2021 – August 31, 2022.
- AmeriCorps Member receives a monthly living allowance (approx. $580 gross pay every two weeks), health insurance, and an educational award ($6,345) after successful completion of a year of service.
Milwaukee Riverkeeper is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We will be reviewing candidates on a rolling basis. Please submit a PDF version resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com