Milwaukee County Parks- Natural Areas
The position will assist the Natural Areas Program staff in the management of 10,000 acres of diverse natural areas within the Milwaukee County Park System. The position works on a wide variety of land management activities with special emphasis on invasive species control, natural resource inventories, wildlife habitat management, and community engagement
as it relates to ecological restoration-oriented projects.
1. Assists with wildlife surveys including but not limited to: nest box monitoring,migratory and breeding bird surveys, odonate surveys, bird window strike surveys, and bumble bee surveys.
2. Field surveys using Arc Map to inventory rare plant populations, invasive species, tree inventories, and vegetative community types.
3. Participates in Park People Weed-Out workday efforts in spring and fall. This will require working on select weekends.
4. Assists with managing Natural Areas partnerships through community outreach and education events such as public presentations, field workdays, and field trips.
5. Assists with maintaining the Natural Areas equipment cache and makes sure it is functional and in good repair.
6. Assists with reforestation, native seed collection, and pollinator garden projects.
7. Assists with invasive species management and wildlife habitat improvement projects.
8. Assists Natural Areas staff on all other duties as assigned.
9. Assists with the implementation of grant funded restoration projects.
1. Associate degree or higher in a Natural Science, Natural Resources, Environmental Education or related field, or currently enrolled in an accredited college program working towards achieving a degree in Natural Sciences or a related field.
2. Valid driver’s license.
3. Basic knowledge of Wisconsin flora and fauna.
4. Ability to lift up to 50 lbs., traverse uneven terrain, and work in adverse weather conditions.
5. Strong written and oral communication skills.
1. Basic knowledge of standard restoration ecology techniques, such as reforestation, wildlife habitat management, and/or invasive species control.
2. Basic experience with ArcGIS and GPS software.
3. Experience working with external partners and volunteers to achieve shared goals.
4. Experience working for, or with, government agencies.
5. Experience with using standard ecological restoration equipment.
1. Wisconsin DATCP Pesticide Applicator’s license (5.0 or 6.0)
2. First Aid/CPR Certified
Interested applicants can email a cover letter and resume to Brian Russart, (Brian.Russart@milwaukeecountywi.gov) Natural Areas Supervisor with the Milwaukee County Parks.
To apply for this job email your details to Brian.Russart@milwaukeecountywi.gov