Federal Highway Administration - Wisconsin Division
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Wisconsin Division , in Madison, WI, is recruiting for a paid Transportation Specialist Intern this fall. The intern will develop knowledge and skills in a variety of transportation specialist functions, including planning, environmental protection, real estate, finance, and civil rights. The incumbent will assist senior transportation specialists in performing a variety of tasks in one or more of these functional areas. The specific duties of this position will be determined after selection based on the needs of the division and the interests and abilities of the selected applicant. This position is an excellent opportunity to learn more about public service and transportation policy on the local, state, and national levels.
Minimum qualifications include
- U.S. citizenship
- Completion of at least two academic years of post-high school study or an associate’s degree
- Seeking a degree relevant to this position on at least a half-time basis
- Maintains good academic standing: a cumulative GPA of 2.5 (undergraduate) or 3.0 (graduate) on a 4.0 scale
- Within commuting distance of Madison, WI
- See job announcement in USA Jobs for additional requirements
The selected candidate will be expected to work at least half-time (20 hours per week) during the academic year and preferably full-time during the summer. The salary range for this position is $15.10 – $33.28 per hour. Upon graduating with a degree, the intern could be converted non-competitively to a permanent position with FHWA, contingent on acceptable performance and other considerations. More details would be provided during the semester prior to graduation.
Application process details
- Applications will be accepted through the USA Jobs system beginning on Monday, October 4, 2021, and ending on Sunday, October 17, 2021.
- A preliminary version of the announcement is posted here: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/615418200. Please note that applications will not be accepted prior to October 4.
- Applicants will be required to create an account, build a resume, and upload other required documents in USA Jobs (https://www.usajobs.gov/).
- Please review the job announcement carefully to ensure that you satisfy the eligibility and documentation requirements. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Wisconsin Division will be hosting a Q&A session via Microsoft Teams on Tuesday, October 5, 2021 from 4pm to 5pm central time to share details about this position and answer questions about the application process. See connection details below:
Join on your computer or mobile app
Or call in (audio only):
Phone Conference ID: 707 345 594#
For more information about FHWA career opportunities and tips on the application process, please visit the FHWA Careers page
If you have any questions about this position, please contact Ian Chidister, Environmental Manager (and 2009 Nelson E&R alumnus), at firstname.lastname@example.org or (608) 829-7503.
To apply for this job please visit www.usajobs.gov.