Community Water Center
CWC currently has offices in Sacramento, Visalia and Watsonville, CA. The Center believes our mission can be effectively advanced while being flexible in our approach to work style and location. Candidates for this position must be able to work in-person at the Sacramento office at least two days per week and are expected to report in the office more than two days a week if needed based on job responsibilities.
Community Water Center (CWC) acts as a catalyst for community-driven water solutions through organizing, education, and advocacy. We seek to build and enhance leadership capacity and local community power around water issues, create regional movements for water justice in California, and enable every community to have access to safe, clean, and affordable
At CWC, we believe that safe, clean, and affordable water is a human right, not a privilege. Our organizing and advocacy work, community collaborations, and organizational culture all reflect a concern for equity, mutual respect, appreciation for diversity, and environmental and social justice. We are looking for candidates who share our values, who bring a willingness to
contribute to our mission and to the growth of a new organization, and who are open to developing their skills. CWC currently has offices in Visalia, Sacramento and Watsonville.
The Communications Manager is primarily responsible for overseeing media relations, digital media strategies and organizational communications (eblasts, web presence, social media), and supporting CWC’s fundraising efforts.
The Communications Manager is a full-time position based out of our Sacramento office and will report to the Policy Director. This position will work closely with CWC’s Director of Strategic Partnerships and the Executive Director, as well as other CWC staff, community members, ally organizations and agencies, and various interns.
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal communication, and public speaking skills
- Strong passion for and commitment to social and environmental justice
- Experience in public relations and/or media relations
- Experience with social media
- Awareness of how differences in class, race, privilege and lived experience shape how
individuals and institutions thin and act
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced office environment and meet
- Ability to accept and provide critical feedback – the ideal candidate would value mutual
accountability across the organization
- Fluent in English and Spanish (written and oral)
- Graduate degree in journalism, communications, public policy, or related field
- 3+ years experience in journalism, public relations, media relations, public policy, or
- Experience working in the Central Valley and/or Salinas Valley or familiarity with key
environmental justice issues facing these regions
- Graphic design, web design, video editing, photo editing, and coding (HTML + CSS)
The ideal candidate will possess strength, experience, and passion for connecting CWC with the media, cultivating community storytellers, building social media engagement, and spearheading creative strategies to share our message with key audiences and the broader public.
Starting at $80,000; based on experience and qualifications.
We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which includes: medical, dental and vision insurance; retirement program contributions, generous vacation, family and sick leave and holiday policies; hybrid (remote and in-person) work policy; professional development opportunities and more.
Email your resume and cover letter to Erick Orellana at
Community Water Center is committed to providing equal opportunity to qualified job applicants and employees and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability (including pregnancy), mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, gender, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
To learn more about the Community Water Center and our programs, visit our website.
To apply for this job please visit static1.squarespace.com.