City of Sun Prairie
The Forestry Crew Leader/City Forester is responsible for the management of the City’s urban forest by planning and implementing forest management and maintenance activities, providing guidance, direction, and recommendations for the care of the City’s urban forest and its tree inventory. This position ensures that forestry-related projects and programs assigned by the Parks and Forestry Division Manager are accomplished in a prompt and effective manner.
Requirements of Work
- Thorough knowledge of the principals and methods of dendrology, arboriculture, forest ecology, wildlife habitat management, and plant biology; normally acquired through graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Forestry, Forest Management, or a related field, supplemented by a minimum of three years of experience in the delivery of urban forestry-related programs and/or services.
- Proficient skills in plant identification, specifically trees, and invasive species.
- Must be able to identify and differentiate between species of trees, tree disease/pathogens, and species of invasive plants.
- Ability to use and maintain a variety of forestry-related tools, equipment, and vehicles.
- Ability to work independently and without direct supervision.
- Ability to analyze data, identify problems and implement solutions.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in arriving at conclusions.
- Ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of others.
- Skill in written and oral communications. Ability to tailor the message, context, and mode of communication to the audience.
- Skill and experience in delivering exceptional customer service.
- Requires a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with air brake certification or ability to obtain within six months of employment. Ability to operate automatic and standard transmissions.
- Ability to obtain Certified Arborist credential through the International Society of Arboriculture within six months of employment
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.