Aldo Leopold Nature Center
The Aldo Leopold Nature Center (ALNC) in Monona seeks energetic individuals to join its team in a dynamic indoor/outdoor position educating children and the public on a variety of inquiry-based, experiential environmental topics. Staff are now being hired to deliver and facilitate ALNC weekend educational programming, public hours, and events. Staff teach birthday parties, lead scout or other organized youth group programs, and welcome and assist visitors of all backgrounds as they explore and engage with varied programming.
ALNC is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting equitable environmental education for children, their teachers, and families. Our mission is to engage and educate current and future generations, empowering them to respect, protect, and enjoy the natural world. In addition to our grounds, ALNC offers varied educational programs and hosts public and private events.
ALNC is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and serving a more diverse staff and community,
and qualified applicants of under-represented backgrounds and identities are encouraged to apply.
Time Commitment and Details
- Environmental Educator & Community Assistants are part-time staff available to work shifts between 9:00am and 4:00pm, Saturdays and/or Sundays. Special events and programs create varied hours; employees can expect around 20-25 hours a month during peak season (May-October) depending on availability and programming. The option of increasing hours through weekday and evening programming, front desk staffing, special events, and rentals may be available. Flexible scheduling based on candidate’s availability.
- Compensation: $14.00/hr.
- Opportunities: Become experienced with the flora and fauna of the restored prairie, wetland and woodland habitat; plan and coordinate educational activities; gain problem-solving, social interactive and interpretive experience working with visitors of all ages and backgrounds.
- Positions available starting immediately. Initial shifts will include training and shadowing.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed weekly on Fridays.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare for and deliver nature programs for families, scouts and other youth groups, youth birthday party participants, and other diverse program participants.
- Staff and oversee public hours (typically 10am-2pm);
- Provide interpretation for the public; set up programs and activity stations.
- Assist with customer service duties, including visitor information, program registration and membership.
- Open and close building; re-stock, tidy, disinfect and maintain public areas.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ideal candidates will be able to manage their schedule and work well in a team environment.
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 including boosters and at least 18 years of age.
- Experience working with children in formal and/or non-formal educational settings.
- Excitement for the natural environment and an ability to share that excitement
- Comfort in managing facility and visitors, assisting volunteers, and following written instructions
- Reliable transportation to ALNC.
- Hired candidates must pass a background check and fingerprint screen.
- Background in environmental education, education, natural science, or a related field. Knowledge of regional flora and fauna.
- Experience working with technology (IT, A/V equipment, etc.) and computer skills (Microsoft Office, etc.)
- Spanish language skills
- Standard First Aid and Adult/Child CPR certifications
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Sarah Voss, Community and Weekend Program Coordinator
Aldo Leopold Nature Center: 330 Femrite Drive, Monona, WI 53716
(608) 221-0404 ext. 0
Emailed applications encouraged.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com