Aldo Leopold Nature Center
The Aldo Leopold Nature Center (ALNC) seeks an outgoing, energetic individual to join its team in a dynamic position assisting with sustainability-focused events at their indoor/outdoor Monona campus. A staff member is now being hired to assist with weekly rentals during the peak-season. Activities focus on assisting couples and their guests on their wedding day, arranging rooms for private events and public programming, setting up outdoor ceremony spaces, removing trash, recycling and composting, providing hospitality and customer service, and helping to grow the ALNC community.
ALNC is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting equitable environmental education for children, their teachers, and families. In addition to public exhibits and grounds, ALNC offers varied educational programs and organizes Nature Net, a consortium of environmental education providers in southern Wisconsin.
ALNC is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and serving a more diverse staff and community, and qualified applicants of under-represented backgrounds and identities are encouraged to apply.
Time Commitment and Details
- The Sustainable Events Assistant is committed part-time seasonal staff. Shifts run 4-10pm on Fridays, 10-4pm on Sundays and vary on Saturdays between 8:30am-4:30pm and 12-8pm.
- This position runs through the middle of November with a chance for further employment based on performance and need.
- Compensation: $14.00/hr.
- Opportunities: Become experienced building relationships with the public while supporting a non-profit environmental education center on acres of native prairie, wetland, and woodland habitat; support an events program that focuses on sustainability; gain hospitality and interpretive experience working with public visitors of all ages.
- Position available starting July 2021. Applicants will be reviewed and interviewed on a rolling basis with the hope of a new hire being comfortable by the end of July.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide first class service to all ALNC visitors and renters.
- Arrange rooms (move furniture, set-up A/V equipment, etc.) based on provided layouts.
- Coordinate and communicate with rental customers and vendors before, during, and after events.
- Assist with set-up and cleanup surrounding events and rentals.
- Staff and oversee public areas during public and rental hours; troubleshoot, upkeep, and answer questions as needed.
- Provide interpretation for public.
- Open, close, and maintain safety and security of facility and grounds during public hours and rentals.
- Administrative assistance; other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications
- At least 18 years of age.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds required.
- Interest in sustainability, environmental education, climate, and phenology preferred.
- Comfort in managing facility and guests and following written instructions and procedures.
- Superior customer service skills; cheerful, positive, open attitude; excellent communication skills, good sense of humor, and ability to work with all ages.
- Flexibility and creativity; excellent organization skills and ability to multi-task and problem-solve.
- Ability to manage schedules and work well in a team environment with other staff.
- Reliable transportation to ALNC.
- Experience working with technology (IT, A/V equipment, etc.) and computer skills (Microsoft Office, scheduling & registration database, etc.) preferred.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Duncan Schultz, Community Engagement Manager
Aldo Leopold Nature Center: 330 Femrite Drive, Monona, WI 53716
Emailed applications encouraged.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com