Summer Conservation Institute
Summers in Madison capture the beauty of our lakes, while highlighting our green campus through a series of conservation events. New students beginning the Environmental Conservation program join current students who are working on their leadership projects. We bring our Community of Practice together at a Welcome Reception to kick off the summer, which is followed by a Land Ethic Leadership Training with our partners at the Aldo Leopold Foundation, and later visits from two to three leading conservation practitioners from here in the USA and around the world. These prominent guests give a public talk to the conservation community and spend exclusive time with Environmental Conservation students. A sample of past Summer Conservation Institute guests include:
- Dr. Lilian Pintea, Vice President of Conservation Science, the Jane Goodall Institute, Public Lecture: June 25th, 2014
- Emma Marris, Environmental Writer, Public Lecture: July 17th, 2014
- Dr. Michael Dombeck, former Chief, US Forest Service, EC Classroom session: August 6th, 2014
- Dr. Rebecca Smith, Director, Upper Mississippi River Program, The Nature Conservancy, Public Lecture: June 29th, 2015
- Dr. Anne Savage, Conservation Director, Animals, Science, Environment, Walt Disney's Parks and Resorts, Public lecture: July 20th, 2015
In August, graduating Environmental Conservation students return to give seminars on their leadership placement experiences, connecting the new cohort of students with placement opportunities and building synergies amongst each other.