Graduate Certificate Programs

How to Apply

Anyone currently enrolled as a graduate student at UW-Madison may apply to a Nelson Institute graduate-level certificate program by submitting a special application (choose from links below), a one- to two-page statement of interest, and a current UW-Madison transcript; and by asking the student’s home department to send copies of his or her Graduate School application, GRE test results, transcripts, and at least two letters of reference to the appropriate certificate program’s admissions committee c/o the Academic Programs Office, 70 Science Hall.

Where to Send Your Application

All materials submitted in hard copy should be mailed or delivered to:

Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies
Attn: Jim Miller, Academic Programs Office
Room 70 Science Hall, 550 N Park Street
Madison WI 53706-1491

All materials submitted electronically (excluding those submitted through the Graduate School’s online application) can be sent to the Nelson Institute’s general graduate programs email address.


Applications to EAP and TMP may be submitted at any time, but applicants are advised to check with the Academic Programs Office, 70 Science Hall, for relevant deadlines.

Applications for CHE are accepted twice a year; the deadlines are November 1 and April 1.