Creating Sustainable Food Systems
March 1 -- Addressing Food Sustainability in Communities
- Kiera Mulvey, Executive Director, Madison Area Community Supported Agriculture Coalition; Presentation (PDF)
- Bob Wills, President, Cedar Grove Cheese; Presentation (PDF)
- Kate Stalker, Special Projects Coordinator, Center for Resilient Cities and Badger Rock Middle School
- Emily McGovern Duma, Co-Director, Slow Food UW-Madison: Presentation (PDF)
March 22 -- Moving Food from Farm to Cafeteria
- Bridget Holcomb, Associate Director for Public Policy, Michael Fields Agricultural Institute
- Camilla Vargas, Program Manager, AmeriCorps Farm to School Program, Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection; Presentation (PDF)
- Susan Peterman, Food and Nutritional Services Supervisor, Middleton-Cross Plains Area School District; Presentation (PDF)
April 12 -- Sustainability in Large-Scale Commercial Food Production
Participation of commercial-scale food producers is critical to the creation of sustainable food systems. This forum will feature two Wisconsin farmers; one produces grass-fed beef, the other, Healthy Grown Potatoes®. We'll also look at UW-Madison research and programs that aid sustainable food production.
- Jed Colquhoun, Associate Professor of Horticulture, UW-Madison
- Dick Cates, Owner, Cates Family Farm; Board of Directors, Wisconsin Dept. of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection; Presentation (PDF)
- Andy Diercks, Vice President, Coloma Farms; Chair, Board of Directors, Wisconsin Dept. of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection; Presentation (PDF)
April 26 -- Supplying Options for Food Consumers
What are the values and criteria that retailers use to determine what to offer their customers? Representatives from three different business models will talk about the decision-making process that determines what food products they stock in their stores.
- Leah Caplan, Chief Food Officer & Local Food Liaison, Metcalfe's Market; Presentation (PDF)
- Lynn Olson, Director of Cooperative Services, Williamson Street Grocery Cooperative; Presentation (PDF)
- Amanda Jahnke Sauer, Marketing & Community Relations Coordinator, Whole Foods Market; Presentation (PDF)
Video shown by Amanda about the Global Animal Partnership 5-Step Animal Welfare Rating in Whole Foods stores across the United States.