The Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies is confronting global environmental challenges through imaginative research that transcends disciplinary boundaries, hands-on education that bridges classrooms and communities, and public programs that foster environmental conversations among people from business, government, academia, and advocacy.
Training Tomorrow's Environmental Leaders
The Nelson Institute values and is committed to a liberal arts and professional education, built on the premise that complex environmental issues can best be understood through familiarity with diverse perspectives, and integration of the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities.
Research That's Changing the World
Research drives the social and technological innovation needed to confront the challenges of a rapidly changing global environment. The Nelson Institute is a catalyst of imaginative research that combines skills and knowledge from the humanities, engineering, business, and law to the biological, physical, health, and social sciences.
We Are the Wisconsin Idea
At the Nelson Institute, we strive to create sustainable communities across complex institutional landscapes for enhancing the quality of life and the environment in Wisconsin and the world.
It all starts with people and communities, and we are deeply committed to fostering and sustaining community partnerships in education, research, and service, both locally and internationally.
Nelson News and Events
- August 9Learning Together—Animals in the PrairieArboretum Family Class9:45 AM, Meet at Visitor Center, UW–Madison Arboretum
- August 10Dragonfly Monitoring Walk3:00 PM, Meet at Visitor Center, UW–Madison Arboretum
- August 13Ecological Restoration Work PartyArboretum Core Area and Curtis Prairie9:00 AM, Meet at Visitor Center, UW–Madison Arboretum
- August 13Full Moon Night Walk and Stargazing8:30 PM, Meet at Visitor Center, UW–Madison Arboretum
- August 14Summer SoundsArboretum Family Nature Program1:00 PM, Meet at Visitor Center, UW–Madison Arboretum