MORNING PLENARY: The Sustainability Imperative (Forum, Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery)
Gregg Mitman, Interim Director, Nelson Institute
Kevin Reilly, President, University of Wisconsin System
John Rowe, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Exelon Corporation
Innovation in Buildings (Varsity Hall 1, 2nd floor, Union South)
This session will look at how buildings can be designed to reduce environmental impact, improve productivity and occupant experience, and create spaces that integrate function, education and community.
- Rob Weise, Construction Executive, Mortenson Construction (Moderator)
- John Nelson, Adjunct Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, UW-Madison; PRESENTATION
- Daniel Okoli, University Architect and Director of Capital Planning and Development, UW-Madison; PRESENTATION
- Carol Menassa, Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering and Environmental Studies, UW-Madison; PRESENTATION
- Jan van den Kieboom, Workshop Architects, Inc.; PRESENTATION
Innovation in Sustainable Community Development (Industry, 3rd floor, Union South)
Can neighborhoods be designed to be more efficient, more livable and more socially connected? This session will look at a number of approaches to promote sustainability and build social capital in communities.
- Aaron Olver, Director of Economic Development, City of Madison (Moderator)
- Lynn Hobbie, Senior Vice President, Madison Gas & Electric Company; PRESENTATION
- Asli Göçmen, Assistant Professor, Urban and Region Planning, UW-Madison; PRESENTATION
- Rob Gottschalk, Principal/Economic Positioning and Regional Sustainability, Vandewalle & Associates, Inc.; PRESENTATION
- Ted Petith, GreenLink Projects LLC; PRESENTATION
Innovation in Energy Systems (Landmark, 3rd floor, Union South)
This session will emphasize biofuels research and development in Wisconsin, with a focus on their potential as sustainable transportation fuels.
- John Greenler, Director of Education and Outreach, Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center (Moderator)
- Aaron Imrie, Downstream Commercial Manager, Virent Energy Systems
- Chris Kucharik, Assistant Professor, Agronomy and Environmental Studies, UW-Madison; PRESENTATION
- Claudio Gratton, Assistant Professor, Entomology, UW-Madison; PRESENTATION
- David Rothamer, Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering and Engine Research Center, UW-Madison; PRESENTATION
Innovation in Sustainable Design through the Arts(Agriculture, 3rd floor, Union South)
Art and design can provoke thought and education about sustainability. Panelists will present approaches that illuminate our relationship to the natural world through functional pieces and expressive works, as well as through changes in materials and design in textiles and carpets.
- Karen Crossley, Director, Dane County Cultural Affairs Commission (Moderator)
- Tad Gloeckler, Artist in Residence, Design Studies, UW-Madison
- Jason Lanka, Assistant Professor, Art and Design, UW-Eau Claire; PRESENTATION
- Majid Sarmadi, Professor, Materials Science Program and Design Studies, UW-Madison; PRESENTATION
Innovation in Clean Technology (Alumni, 2nd floor, Union South)
This session will look at innovation in clean technology, or cleantech -- products or services that improve operational performance, productivity or efficiency while reducing costs, inputs, energy consumption and pollution.
- Greg Nemet, Assistant Professor, Public Affairs and Environmental Studies, UW-Madison (Moderator)
- Craig Benson, Wisconsin Distinguished Professor and Chair, Geological Engineering, UW-Madison; PRESENTATION
- Mark Daugherty, Chief Executive Officer, Solrayo; PRESENTATION
- Terence Barry, Chief Science Officer, AquaMost
- Christopher Maloney, Chairman and CEO, Alliance Federated Energy; PRESENTATION
- Rolf Reitz, Wisconsin Distinguished Professor, Mechanical Engineering, UW-Madison; PRESENTATION
Innovation in Institutional Food Systems (Traditions, 2nd floor, Union South)
Public schools, university cafeterias and other institutions have the buying power to significantly impact local and regional food systems. This session will look at efforts to incorporate more local foods at institutional scales.
- Lewis Gilbert,Associate Director, Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies, UW-Madison (Moderator)
- Bill Ford, Director of Operations, Steenbock's on Orchard
- Carl Korz, Assistant Director for Dining Services, Wisconsin Union
- Eric Snowdeal, Product Manager - Milk and Cream, Organic Valley
- Sara Tedeschi, Director, Wisconsin Farm to School Program, Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems, UW-Madison
Click here to learn about local lunch options.
Dickson Despommier, Professor, Environmental Health Sciences, Columbia University (Forum, Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery)
AFTERNOON PLENARY: Pursuing a More Sustainable Future (Union South Varsity Hall)
Gary Hirshberg, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, Stonyfield Farm
Phaedra Ellis-Lamkins, Chief Executive Officer, Green for All