Envision Minnesota's mission is to promote development that creates healthy communities while conserving natural areas, family farms, woodlands and water.
We envision a Minnesota focused on thoughtful development and thriving communities. We envision a state that leads the country in developing policies that support bustling main streets, successful downtowns and vibrant neighborhoods. We envision a state where informed residents can participate in designing communities rich with transportation and housing choices for people at all income levels and stages of life. We envision a Minnesota that protects and enhances its parks and natural resources, maximizes public investment, and where both economic competitiveness and quality of life are among the best in the nation. Envision Minnesota works to address growth and development issues in a comprehensive manner, drawing important connections between land-use decisions and their impact on the larger community, region and state.
Current priorities at Envision Minnesota include:
• Mobilizing a movement that supports a bright, smart vision for Minnesota's growth.
• Achieving livable communities by influencing state, regional and local policies.
Please visit http://www.envisionmn.org for more information about the organization.
The Executive Director provides leadership to sustain and build a vibrant, successful and respected sustainable land use organization in pursuit of its mission, vision and strategic goals. The leader serves as the primary spokesperson for the organization, and is responsible for increasing financial resources to build organizational stability and achieve Envision Minnesota's mission. The Executive Director will manage a team of skilled and experienced professionals and provide guidance to an established, engaged board of directors, while maintaining and growing a $500,000 annual budget.
The Executive Director develops an agenda and coalition to advocate for legislative and administrative actions at the state, regional and local levels. This person will seek out opportunities to represent Minnesota in supporting national sustainable land use policy efforts. He/she will build and nurture relationships with public officials in Minnesota so they can learn about sustainable land use practices and principles, and craft legislation to support the organization's mission and goals.
The Executive Director will build partnerships with leaders at related nonprofits and national, state and regional agencies to achieve shared strategic goals and influence state and regional policies in ways that promote sustainable communities.
The Executive Director will assess current programs and guide the strategic development of new programming that fits Envision Minnesota's mission and vision, working with staff to secure necessary funding. He/she will build upon existing foundation and grant support and work with major donors to convey our goals and progress to continue and build their support.
Envision Minnesota strives to be the trusted source for decision makers for advocacy, information and implementation of sustainable land use. The Executive Director is responsible for articulating the organization's mission, vision and policy perspectives to national, state, regional and local decision makers, as well as to partner organizations, members and supporters, and the media.
Skills and Qualifications Sought
• A minimum of 7 years progressively responsible work experience in transportation and land-use policy, growth management, sustainable communities, smart growth, or related topics.
• A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible management experience and proven sound financial management of a nonprofit. Organizational effectiveness requires demonstrated skills in and understanding of operations, marketing, and public relations, as well as strong interpersonal and supervisory skills. Solid financial and budgeting skills required.
• Demonstrated ability to: a) work with diverse constituencies and build partnerships with state, regional and local leaders; b) articulate the organization's mission, vision and policy goals in written and public speaking settings, to partners, policy makers, funders, members, and the media; c) secure public and private funding.
• Experience, dynamic leadership, and vision sought. Ability to inspire staff, board and supporters with clear goals of where organization is headed. Ability to combine big-picture vision with project management, fundraising and organizational management skills. Vision for building membership.
• Shape current programming to align with strategic priorities and generate new programming that expands our work in policy and advocacy, implementation of local community assistance, and educational opportunities for the organization's constituencies.
• Knowledge of Minnesota state and regional agencies, legislature and political culture and structure is helpful but not required, though intention to acquire it is. Qualified candidates from other states are welcome to apply.
• Graduate degree in urban studies, geography, regional planning, environmental planning, natural resources, public affairs, law, management or related topic
• Preference will be given to candidates with proven track records in both the policy skillset and the nonprofit management and leadership.
Envision Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Interviews will begin after August 20, 2012 and continue until position is filled. Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or 1031 W. Seventh St., St. Paul, MN 55102.
Deadline: Monday, August 20, 2012
Areas of Expertise
Receive weekly email updates of the recent environmental job listings.