Department: Environment & Energy
Division: Environment & Energy
Posting Date: 12/8/11
DAI is an employee-owned global development company. For 40 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governments, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 60 countries. Our integrated development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines—crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS and disease control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
DAI seeks a senior climate change professional with hands-on experience in climate adaptation who can help provide vision and help direct DAI's leadership in worldwide climate adaptation work, and develop a significant portfolio of work in climate change adaptation funded by USAID and other donors. The senior climate change adaptation specialist will work in DAI's Environment and Energy (E&E) Sector and:
* Work with Climate Change Team Lead to establish new business targets based on market knowledge and evolution;
* Help establish DAI?s reputation as a thought leader in the international community engaged in climate change work;
* Identify and help position DAI to become a leading provider of climate change technical assistance with particular emphasis on climate adaptation, and develop and test innovative approaches as reflected in winning proposals that will put DAI at the forefront of climate change service providers;
* Create worldwide partnerships for the delivery of climate adaptation services; and
* Delivery excellent technical support and innovation to USAID and other donor-funded projects being carried out by DAI teams worldwide.
The senior climate adaptation specialist will network with other technical groups within DAI. Responsibilites will include:
* Establish New Business Targets.
* Using market knowledge and analysis, work with team members and others in the E&E Sector to establish specific annual targets for winning new business in climate change-related work funded by USAID and other donors.
* Objective is to build off of and leverage DAI's current work related to climate change to identify and prioritize opportunities that will make a significant impact, provide a return to DAI shareholders and offer interesting and rewarding opportunities for international and local technical staff to be engaged in helping solve a significant development challenge.
* Establish DAI's Reputation as a Thought Leader in Climate Change Work.
* The Climate Adaptation Specialist will work with DAI's different sectors to identify and highlight innovative approaches already being undertaken in projects around the world.
* Using this knowledge base, participate in diverse climate change networks and events that provide an excellent opportunity to showcase the innovative approaches being developed and tested and the lessons these provide for improving country capacity to conduct vulnerability and adaptation capacity analyses and to design and carry out adaptation activities.
* He/she will seek out opportunities to expand internal and external understanding of DAI's work in climate change, draft articles for publishing in DAI's "Developments" and other publications, and develop and maintain external networks of partners, clients, and individual consultants that DAI can tap to identify business opportunities and deliver outstanding results.
* This individual must be familiar with the wide range of climate change/adaptation strategies including their appropriateness in various types of low resource settings.
* Identify and Help Position DAI to be a leading provider of climate change-related technical assistance and support.
* Building from DAI's foundation of experience in water resources and natural resources management, forestry, agriculture, local governance, economic development, and sustainable livelihoods, the senior climate adaptation specialist will help shape DAI's work in climate adaptation across the company.
* He/she will instill best practices within the E&E Sector and across the company, enhance DAI's awareness of the social responsibilities, education, and behavior change characteristics inherent in climate change adaptation and develop strategies for how we can position our team and the company to get in front of and respond to emerging climate change business opportunities.
* He/she will lead DAI's thinking and planning for new climate adaptation business opportunities and develop innovative approaches that DAI can present to a diverse array of potential clients including USAID, DfID, World Bank, and others.
* He/she will draw upon his/her existing and new networks to help identify excellent candidates capable of leading and supporting climate adaptation programs worldwide.
* Create Worldwide Partnerships for the Delivery of Climate Adaptation Services.
* Drawing upon contacts and networks, identify and build relationships with organizations and individuals around the world that DAI can team and partner with in ongoing and future work.
* Direct the delivery of excellent technical support and innovation to USAID and other donor funded projects being carried out by DAI teams worldwide.
* The climate adaptation specialist will work with Chiefs of Party and program directors to ensure projects are following or advancing best practices and provide periodic follow up with key client representatives to ensure we are achieving expected targets, meeting client expectations, and taking full advantage of programs to deliver excellent results.
* He/she must be a strong performer on technical assignments in terms of both quality and timeliness.
* The successful candidate will be a strong contributor to DAI's overall reputation and technical leadership.
* Advanced degree in natural resource management/forestry/climate science/environmental studies/social sciences or related field;
* At least 7 years experience working in/with developing countries in technical areas related to climate vulnerability assessments, climate adaptation and/or mitigation strategies, NRM, and/or disaster risk reduction;
* Demonstrated experience conceptualizing and implementing strategic initiatives, including approaches for engaging disadvantaged populations in climate change and/or natural resource management activities;
* Demonstrated ability to work with and lead teams composed of diverse technical experts to deliver excellent results to clients;
* Well established network with key policy makers, the climate community and/or researchers and industry experts;
* Ability to take on both leadership and support roles in the development of plans, proposals and in carrying out work;
* Demonstrated ability to write technical proposals for USAID/other USG agencies or other donors;
* Fluency in Spanish, French or other regional language preferred;
* Ability to travel between 25% and 30% of the time;
* Must be eligible to work in the United States.
Deadline: Monday, July 23, 2012
Areas of Expertise
Receive weekly email updates of the recent environmental job listings.